Nottingham headshot photography
More than one look for your headshot
Characteristics of a great headshot
You have your look, you have chosen your photographer, and you have booked your photo session. Now what?
How do you ensure that your headshots reflect the vibe you want, are of high quality, and will help you stand out from the crowd?
These are five characteristics of a great headshot. If you stick to these simple rules, you will leave your session with headshots you love.
1. Clean and simple – The goal of a headshot is to show who you are in a professional manner. The best way to do this is to keep your headshots clean and simple, with nothing to distract from you.
2. Confidence and approachability – Visibly showing off your personality in your headshot demonstrates self-confidence, which automatically leads others to feel confident in you as well.
3. Smile with your teeth – and your eyes! This goes without saying, but real smiles radiate a genuine vibe that will attract your audience (its my job to get that smile out of you!).
4. Personality over glamour – Make sure your headshots look like you. Do not overdo it with the makeup, hair, or clothing. Just be unapologetically you!
5. Conservative colours – By wearing conservative colours, the focus stays on you, your smile, and your personality.
Headshot session mistakes to avoid
Now that you know the characteristics that will make your headshots awesome, here are some mistakes to avoid prior to getting your headshots and during your headshot session.
Not coming prepared – You have to put in the work for a successful product. This includes having your outfit ready, your hair and makeup done, and arriving on time. Otherwise, you may feel rushed or flustered, and you will likely be unhappy with your headshots.
Not looking like yourself – A headshot is supposed to reflect who you are, so do not try to be someone that you are not. For example, wearing an outfit, shoes, or makeup that you wouldn’t normally might make you feel uncomfortable, which will show through the photos.
Fake smiles – A fake smile can give off an impression of ingenuity and lack of personality. Not sure how to get that perfect, real smile for the camera? Try bringing a friend with you to the session, or playing music that helps you feel more relaxed and comfortable.
“Statement” clothing – Headshots are about you, not your clothing. Now is not the time for a fashion show, so save your statement pieces for a different time!
Choosing the wrong setting – Make sure the location of your headshot fits with the image you are trying to create. For example, an indoor headshot makes more sense for a corporate look than an outdoor headshot.